Creamy and comforting! This soup is based with butter, garlic, lemon juice and has a hint of cayenne pepper. It is perfect for a chilly day or if you are in the mood for some comfort food especially when you top it off with crispy homemade butter and herb butter croutons!
First step is to clean and trim up the artichokes! You can definitely use canned artichokes, but there is always something so special about full home-cooked meals that we love. If you used canned artichokes get the ones in water.
Now it is time to steam the artichokes. We used an InstaPot and it was too easy and fast! Place the artichokes in the pot set to steam and set timer for 15 minutes. If you do not have a InstaPot you can definitely steam on stove in a large pot.
Now the fun really began once the garlic, onions, and butter start to fill your home with its delicious aroma.
Once your onions have softened you can add in your grated cauliflower and artichoke hearts. You will cook these for about 10 minutes until they are tender. After your veggies are soft you will add in chicken broth and let the soup simmer for 20 minutes covered. This will prepare the vegetables to get placed in your food processor so you can get that really creamy texture!
Keep on scrolling. You can get the full recipe and ingredient list below! 🙂
– 3 TBS butter
– 3 Garlic cloves smashed
– 1/2 Yellow Onion finely chopped
– 3 Small artichokes washed and trimmed OR (2 15oz canned artichoke hearts)
– 1 Cauliflower head grated
– 3 Cups Chicken Broth
– 2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
– Juice of 1 Lemon
– 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
– Salt + Pepper to taste
– 1/2 cup water
1. Start by pouring 1/2 cup water into your InstaPot. Place your artichokes in and set to steam for 15 minutes. Once your timer goes off and your artichokes are tender run them under cool water and remove leafs to get to the artichoke hearts. If you use canned artichokes, skip this step.
2. Finely chop your artichoke hearts and set aside with cauliflower.
3. Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Add in garlic and onion cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 8 minutes.
4. Add artichokes and cauliflower; cook and stir occasionally until soft, about 10 minutes.
5. Add in chicken broth + bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce heat to medium-low and cook until artichokes are very tender, about 20 minutes.
6. Pour vegetables and chicken broth into to a food processor or blender. Puree until smooth; about 3-4 minutes. Pour puree back into large stove-top pot. Add heavy whipping cream, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and lemon juice to pot.
7. Over medium head, stirring occasionally, bring soup to a simmer. Lower heat to low for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Season with some more salt and pepper, and serve with croutons on top.
8. To make soup pulp free and EXTRA creamy, strain soup, use a wooden spoon to push the liquid through the strainer until you get as much soup as possible.
9. Serve immediately and top with Crispy Butter Herb Croutons. See our Crispy Butter Herbed Croutons for directions on how to make.