For this recipe I used The Stay At Home CHEF’s, Red Velvet Layered Cake recipe as a guide to create these Chocolate Bottom Red Velvet Cupcakes. I never know how my baking recipes will turn out, but these turned out better than I expected!
Funny thing is, these were going to be chocolate chip red velvet cupcakes… but I forgot to coat the chocolate chips in flour before I put them in cupcake batter. I am happy I forgot because it puts a unique twist on these cupcakes that is sooo delicious – reminds me of the Nestle Drumstick ice-cream cones with the chocolate waiting for you at the bottom. PLUS you get chocolate in EVERY bite.
Servings: Makes 16 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/8 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon red vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
NO BUTTER CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 8oz low-fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (add more or less to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fill cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Mix flour, sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt with mixer on a low speed until combined.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil, vanilla, vinegar, and food coloring. Increase beating speed to medium until smooth (1-2 minutes).
- Add chocolate chips, stir gently to combine (they will sink to the bottom of the pan while baking, but that’s what we want for this recipe. If you do not want them to sink, coat in flour before adding to batter).
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until you a toothpick pokes through clean without batter.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Make frosting: Beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract until fluffy. Smooth or pipe cream on top of cupcakes, garnish with chocolate chips and enjoy!