Servings: Makes a 26 x 16 baking sheet loaf, about 20 large squared slices
Prep Time: 15 Min Rest Time: 1 Hr 15 Min Cook Time: 35-40 Min
- 5 1/2 – 6 CUPS ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
- 2 1/2 CUPS WARM WATER
- 1/2 TSP ACTIVE DRY YEAST
- 3 TSP HONEY
- 5 TBS FRESH ROSEMARY CHOPPED
- 1/4 CUP OLIVE OIL, PLUS MORE FOR BAKING PROCESS
- 2 TBSP SALT
- Combine warm water, honey, and active dry yeast in a medium bowl. Stir, then let sit for 5 minutes to dissolve.
- Add 5 1/2 cups flour to a large bowl.
- Pour in water mixture and olive oil. Stir with wooden spoon to combine until the dough is tacky enough to knead with hands. Move to a floured surface.
- Once dough is moved to a floured surface, add in salt and rosemary. Knead until fully combine and smooth of bumps. If dough is sticking to your hands sprinkle more flour as needed until you’ve reached a more tacky consistency.
- Place dough back in bowl and cover with towel. Rest for 30 minutes.
- Coat a baking sheet with 3 TBS of olive oil. Place dough on sheet, gently flatten the dough and coat both sides with oil. Using your hands, gently and evenly stretch the dough out along the length/width of the baking sheet. If the dough keeps springing back, allow to rest for about 10-20 minutes more.
- Using finger tips, gently press indents along the surface of the dough. Drizzle with olive oil and rest for another 30 minutes to ensure the holes stay while baking.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 450.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until bottom of bread is crisp. Drizzle with more olive oil and allow to cool before serving.
This focaccia bread is perfect to eat alone, use as sandwich bread, or to dip in your favorite pasta sauce!
Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Used Salt Fat Acid Heat as a guide to create this recipe.