This recipe originated from my husbands dad. I never had the chance for his dad to make them for me, but I know it was a favorite of Dante’s so we try to make them every so often. Dante (my hubby) was not home yet when I started making these taco’s for dinner so I just winged it best I could. I knew the important ingredient was Laywers Lemon Pepper season – you can find this at just about any grocery store. This recipe is really simple and does not require a ton of ingredients. I marinated the chicken for about a half and hour in olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and the lemon pepper seasoning to really build up the flavors. All in all, according to the hubs, I did the recipe justice and it was up to his standards (woot woot)! Now you can give it a go too :).
Makes: 8 Tacos Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes Total Time: 47 minutes
- 2 thinly sliced chicken breasts
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning for both sides of chicken breast
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup yellow onion, diced
- Sour cream, to taste
- other toppings as desired: we added Tapatio and cojita cheese
- 8 small corn tortillas
- Season both chicken breasts with lemon pepper seasoning on both sides. Place chicken in plastic bag with olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice. Massage to fully combine. Place in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Grill chicken breasts for 5-6 minutes on each side until internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Using a food processor or forks shred your cooked chicken. In a medium bowl, combine cilantro, chicken, and onion.
- Smear the inside of your taco shells with sour cream. Scoop in desired amount of filling and add your desired toppings. Serve immediately.