Cinnamon rolls are some of the tastiest breakfast treats, but they are not the easiest to eat on a busy morning. These Deconstructed Cinnamon Rolls are perfect on a busy morning – just like a pop tart, you can grab-n-go! These are my husbands guilty pleasure and I cannot blame him because they have cream cheese frosting and brown sugar/cinnamon filling. YES PLEASE! Recipe is right below 🙂
Servings: 8 Prep: 50 Minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 Total Time: 70-75 Minutes
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 Tablespoon highly active yeast
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 – 2 1/2 cups flour (Start with 2, slowly add in more until tacky)
- 5 Tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (add more if necessary)
- In a small bowl, add warm water, yeast and 1 Tablespoon of sugar. Stir, and cover with a paper towel. Let sit for about 5 minutes. Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, mix butter, milk, sugar and salt. Add yeast mixture, stir to combine. Add one cup of flour, stir until smooth. Add remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time. Knead until soft, no more than 1-2 minutes.
- In a warm area, cover bowl with towel. Allow dough to rise for about 20 minutes.
- Make the filling by combing all filling ingredients. Set aside.
- On a floured surface, roll dough out to about 10×12 rectangular shape. *Do not worry about it being perfect. Use a spatula to spread filling across dough. Using a pizza cutter, slice the dough into two squares. With the filling facing up, layer one square on top the other.
- Make four layers: Fold the dough length side over, filling side down. You will now have a smooth top and wide strip of dough with 4 layers. Using a roller, gently stretch the layers to make a long strip. You should now have about a 10 inch length of dough. Lightly dust remaining filling on the top of the dough.
- Using your pizza cutter, slice dough into 8 squares. Line 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper. Place 8 dough squares into bake dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden on the edges and cooked through.
- Make your cream cheese frosting by beating all frosting ingredients until smooth. Smear on pastries as soon as you take out the oven. Allow the frosting to cool before removing.
- To store your pastries, allow to fully cool then place in airtight container in the refrigerator.