Sometimes we do not like making sweet potatoes because they can take FOREVER to cook depending on their size. But this recipe makes me want to be patient because it is so dang delicious and full of flavor! Not to mention that it is a health blinding food; meaning its so good, you forget that it is filled with good wholesome ingredients. I hope to have sold you enough so that you will make it for yourself or family to see what I am raving about ;). Recipe is right below!
Servings: Makes 2 Stuffed Potatoes Cook Time: 1hr 5min
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 8oz ground turkey
- 3/4 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup canned corn
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese + 2 tablespoons
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Drizzle 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over sweet potatoes and massage onto skin. Place in oven for 1 hour.
- When the potatoes have 30 minutes left, heat remaining olive oil over medium heat in large skillet. Add turkey, cook until no longer pink. Lower heat to medium low, add remaining ingredients except cheese. Turn off heat, secure with lid to keep warm.
- Keeping the oven on, remove potatoes from oven once potatoes are soft and cooked through. Carefully slice a layer of skin off the top of potatoes (Tip: use a paper towel as a shield from the hot potato).
- Use a spoon to scrape out the insides and place in small bowl. Leave the shell of the potato on the dish you cooked them in. Smash potatoes until smooth. Add smashed potatoes and 1/2 cup cheese to turkey, stir to combine.
- Fill potato shells with turkey mixture to max capacity. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Place back in oven for 3-5 minutes to heat through. Garnish with cilantro and allow to cool before eating.
Notes: If you have remaining mixture left after stuffing your potatoes, place on the side of your plate or store in refrigerator to eat on its own for lunch the next day ;).