This dough is so simple and quick to make. It gives your crust that extra boost of flavor. You can eat this flat bread alone, dip it in olive oil, or top it with your favorite goodies to create a delicious pizza. This recipe was adapted from a YouTube video by Gordon Ramsey. It includes few ingredients and very little skill and time. We paired this flatbread with artichokes, red onion, sun dried tomato pesto, ricotta cheese, mozzarella, and basil. You can get as creative as you want when topping your flatbread, the recipe and ingredients we used is right below.
Leek Flat Bread
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Leek
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¾ to 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 8.5 jar sun dried tomatoes with oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch of basil leaves
- ½ cup parmesan
- 1/8 cup pinenuts
Flat Bread Toppings
- Canned artichoke hearts
- Ricotta cheese
- Shredded mozzarella
- Red onion, sliced
- Basil, chopped (add after you cook in oven)
Makes: 4 flatbreads Total Time: 35 minutes
- Begin by slicing your washed leek length wise. Next, finely chop your length slices into smaller pieces. Heat a drizzle of oil and melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, sauté for 30 seconds. Add leeks and sauté with butter and garlic until tender. About 5 minutes. Allow your leeks to cool for 5 minutes before mixing with flour.
- In a large bowl add flour, oil, sautéed leeks, seasonings and roughly mix. Slowly add in water and knead until your dough is smooth and not sticky. Depending on your flour, you may not need a full cup of water.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap. Allow to rest for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 450F.
- Meanwhile, make your sun-dried tomato pesto by mixing all ingredients in a food processor. Set aside or in refrigerator.
- On a clean, lightly floured surface place dough and roll into a sausage shape that is long and thick enough to make 4 flatbreads. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough into oval shapes (don’t worry about them being perfect).
- Heat a cast iron over medium high heat (keep it dry, NO OIL). Once hot, place one flatbread on cast iron at a time and cook on both sides for about 3 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Spread pesto on flatbreads and top with pizza toppings. Bake in preheated oven for 5-6 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve and eat immediately.