Macaroni and cheese is my weakness, my guilty pleasure, I cannot get enough of it. I’ve read somewhere that cheese is addictive, and it sends messages to your brain that makes you happy and so you crave it more. Makes so much sense! For thatreason alone, I try to this comfort food once in a blue moon and not to brag, I make a mean macaroni and cheese – just ask my husband 😉. I would feel selfish not sharing this deliciousnesswith you all, so here you go!
- 1 16oz box macaroni noodles
- 5 tablespoons butter, cut into slices
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups cheddar
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 3/4 cup shredded Havarti
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack
- ½ shredded parmesan
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs, plus 1 tablespoon butter
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375F. Cook noodles according to package in salted water. Do not overcook. Cook Al Dente. Drain.
- Grate all cheeses and combine in a large bowl. Remove 3cups of the cheese mixture and set aside for layering and the topping.
- In a very large pot, over medium heat, melt butter and whisk in flour. Cook until fully combined and bubbly. Gradually add in milk and cream, whisk consistently. Keeping heat on medium, add in seasoning and stir to combine. Stir consistently until thick and bubbly (about 5 minutes).
- Lower heat to low. Quickly add in cheeses, except for the reserved 3 cups of cheese. Stir until all fully melted. Add in cooked macaroni and stir to combine. Pour half of the macaroni and cheese into a casserole dish, layer with a 1 ½ cup of the reserved cheese. Pour remaining macaroni in casserole dish and top with final 1 ½ cup cheese mixture.
- In a small saucepan, melt a tablespoon of butter. Add in breadcrumbs and cook until the crumbs are golden brown. Sprinkle on top of macaroni. Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes, or until golden and bubbly. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Notes: For the best possible results, purchase the blocks of cheese and grate yourself.